Douglas Business School
Importance of Distance Learning
Distance learning is a methodology in higher education where students and instructors are not physically present in the same location. Instead, they use technology, such as the Learning Management Systems to communicate and exchange information. Distance learning can take place in many forms, such as online courses, video conferences, email correspondence, or other digital tools. It allows students to access educational materials and interact with their instructors and classmates from anywhere in the world. Distance learning method or learning is often used by individuals who cannot attend traditional classroom-based courses due to geographical or other constraints. This ease expatriates who has busy work schedules to be able to pursue their studies at a different country.
Distance learning is becoming increasingly important in today's world for several reasons:
1. Flexibility in Learning: Distance learning offers flexibility in terms of scheduling time and location, making it easier for students to fit education into their busy schedule as they get to study at their own pace.
2. Accessibility with the use of technology: Distance learning provides access to education for individuals who may not have the opportunity to attend traditional, on-campus classes due to geographical, financial, or personal constraints.
3. Cost-effective: Distance learning programs are often more affordable than traditional, on-campus courses. This makes education more accessible to a wider range of individuals, including those who may not be able to afford traditional tuition fees.
4. Technology-driven: Distance learning is technology-driven, which means that students gain valuable skills in using digital tools and online communication platforms. These skills are becoming increasingly important in today's digital age.
5. Personalization: Distance learning allows students to personalize their learning experience to fit their individual needs and learning styles. They can choose the courses, resources, and tools that work best for them, and can study at their own pace.
Overall, distance learning has the potential to make education more accessible, affordable, and personalized for a wider range of individuals, and can help to bridge the gap between geographical, financial, and other barriers to education.